Categories
Builds

Yi Home Window Mount

  • Build Time: 4 hours
  • Build Difficulty: 2

Yi Home cameras are inexpensive, but you can’t use them outdoors. I built this 2 piece window mount (with SVG sticker for those who have a Cricut). This project was an exercise using Fusion 360 and threads, as well as practicing assembling components which is much like assembling parts in SolidWorks.

The Tools

  • 3D printer
  • Cricut Maker
  • Fusion 360
  • Cricut Maker

The Materials

  • PLA filament
  • double sided mounting tape
  • vinyl adhesive
  • Yi Home Camera

The Design

In order for the Yi Home IR (night) lights to work, the camera must be completely touching the glass of the window you’re mounting it do. Since mounting tape comes in different thicknesses, I decided to make this 2 pieces with threads so that the depth could be adjusted.

Mount the base to a clean window with your choice of double sided mounting tape, insert the camera into the other piece, screw in the camera until you feel it press up against the glass. If you leave a gap, you will see the reflection of the infrared lights.

Final printed product

Here is the final 2 piece product mounted to the window. It works great! The threads are really tight, and had to do some light sanding and screw and unscrew many many times to wear down the edge a bit.

Categories
Builds

Triathlon Bike Phone Mount

  • Build Time: 3 days
  • Build Difficulty: 3

I spend hours and hours on my bike. I needed an aerodynamic custom phone mount designed specifically for my phone/bike setup. This is my first multi-part assembly in Solidworks. So satisfying!

My Ironman triathlon bike.. a Felt DA3

Before I begin, let’s stop and take a look at this beautiful bike. It’s not as high end as some of the $15k+ bikes out there, but it’s gotten me throw many Ironman races.

The Tools

  • 3D printer
  • digital caliper

The Materials

  • M2 screws and nuts of varying length
  • PLA filament

The Design

Assembly built in solidworks

I measured the diameter of my aero bars and also the distance between the stem where it would be mounted. I decided on a 3 part assembly to make it easier to print. The pieces of the assembly where designed to be held together with M2 screws/bolts.

The Build

Width fail… used the wrong variable

Always used variable names in Solidworks, but also give them meaningful names so you don’t end up using the wrong measurement for the mount gap width here to account for the stem.

Design fixed and reprinted

After re-printing the design, I pushed in the hex nuts into the slots I designed and screwed bottom mount together. The 3D printer needs a good amount of tolerance for a good fit. I used 2mm for these M2 screws but the fitting was too tight.